Fieldwork Journal

OCTOBER 11TH (10/11) FIRTST DAY OF FIELD WORK WEEK 1

This day was my First day of field work.πŸ”₯

On this day, I was so nervous that I thought my stomach might ache. The place was a bit far from where I live, and I had to take an early bus, which was challenging.

Everything was new, and there was a sense of fear. So, when the first day ended, on the way back, I went to McDonald’s. The Sprite I had at that time wasn’t very tasty.😭😭

One thing that surprised me was that Linda’s room had lots of snacks and drinks in the fridge. It was exciting.

OCTOBER 12TH (10/12) WEEK 1

This day, we went to the park with residents in the morning.β˜€οΈIn the park, I learned new word its “chimney.”🏭 We walked a little long walk with them. To be honest, it was the first time to go out with residents. So, I had no idea what we can talkπŸ˜…After walking, we made a “mat” which is made of plastic bag for homeless people. From that day, my favorite work is making matπŸ˜‚ Once we finished mat, I was asked that “clean” from 6th floor to 2nd floor bu using vacuum cleaner🧹 It was very heavy to move. But I think it was a good exercise for me though. After lunch, we had a dance time with residents. It was like a “prom.” we danced with them, it was a wonderful time to have communication.

OCTOBER 18TH (10/18) WEEK 2

This day we decorated for HalloweenπŸŽƒπŸŽƒ I have never experienced these moment. So, it was kinda difficult but very good time. In Japan, even though decorations for Halloween are sold in stores, I didn’t feel much excitement. However, since coming to Canada and seeing them sold in stores, I have become excited about it.πŸ€—

OCTOBER 19TH (10/19) WEEK 2

From the morning, we went to the park to go for a walk with resident.

During this morning walk, we were able to talk a lot more than before. We were discussing “Favorite things about Canada” with a resident, and when Masaki said, “My favorite Canadian food is poutine,”πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŸ resident misunderstood it as “protein,” and the conversation didn’t match. πŸ˜‚

After lunch, we had a birthday party for someone born in October.πŸŽ‚βœ¨ We cut a really large cake. I was wondering if we would be able to eat it too, but unfortunately, we couldn’t.😭

On the way back home, I found a heart-shaped cloud.🀍☁️

OCTOBER 25TH (10/25) WEEK 3

On this day, I carved a pumpkin. πŸŽƒ It was my first time, and I was nervous because i didn’t know anything, but once I started carving, I found it enjoyable. I had yo put my hand inside the pumpkin, and it felt messy and a bit unpleasant. But I was happy to create something cute. Let’s carve again sometime.❀️‍πŸ”₯

OCTOBER 26TH (10/26) WEEK 3

On this day, I went to a “Pumpkin Patch.” Before going, we ate fish and chips at a nearby restaurant. The brown-colored food was delicious.πŸ˜‹πŸ€Ž I thought it was a foreign food not found in Japan. Linda treated us to this meal, and it became the most delicious fish and chips in the world. Thank you.πŸ’œ

Afterward, we went to the Pumpkin Patch. πŸŽƒMany pumpkins were illuminated, and it was very beautiful. ✨✨We took pictures, and it became a great memory. Moreover, on the way back, the facility’s bus took us to Aberdeen. My heart became very warm. Thank you so much for today.❀️‍πŸ”₯

NOVEMBER 2ND (11/2) WEEK 4

On this day, I did my nails. The day before, I was taught various things like how to wash hands and apply cream, and I put them into practice. It was also my first time doing this, and I was nervous, but I managed to do it calmly. Everyone said, “Thank you. It looks really cute,” and I was very happy.

On the way back, when I went to the convenience store, I was able to take a photo that looked like it was from overseas.πŸ’

NOVEMBER 8TH (11/8) WEEK 5

On this day, I sang songs, focusing on seasonal tunes. Since it was autumn at that time, I sang songs that reflected the autumn season. Afterward, we discussed each person’s opinions about the seasons. It was interesting to hear that everyone has different favorite seasons.🌝

The sky was beautiful on this day.☁️🧑

NOVEMBER 9TH (11/9) WEEK 5

On this day, we had a birthday party for someone whose birthday is in November. Just like last time, we cut a large cake. There were more cakes this time than last month, and I was excited. Linda said, “You can eat it,” and being able to have cake on an ordinary day felt very happy. Thank you for the treat. And, happy birthday!πŸ’ŸπŸŽ‚

NOVEMBER 15TH (11/15) WEEK 6

On this day, I went to a nearby church for breakfast in the morning. This breakfast was completely volunteer-driven and free. I had omelets and bacon, and it was delicious. 🍳πŸ₯“Thank you for the meal. Also, on this day, Kamloops experienced its first snowfall. ❄️It was very cold, but I was happy to see the snow. After returning home, we worked on a puzzle together. Even with 500 pieces, it was challenging. After eating, we danced. Hina always dances with the same person, so I took a photo.

NOVEMBER 16TH (11/16) WEEK 6

On this day, we prepared for Christmas.πŸŽ„πŸ’ We brought the tree out from the warehouse and decorated each floor.πŸŽ„ It was very heavy to carry, but decorating was fun. Since I didn’t have the tradition of decorating a tree in Japan, it was another opportunity to experience a different culture. 🌟

The sky was beautiful again today.β˜οΈπŸ’œ

NOVEMBER 23RD (11/23) WEEK 7 LAST DAY❀️‍πŸ”₯

It was the final day of fieldwork. We were doing the usual things, but in the afternoon, everyone surprised me. Residents and Linda gave us like coloring books, and gifts. Remembering all the memories, I almost cried. I realized that everyone is truly kind and has a warm heart. I genuinely feel fortunate that the fieldwork was conducted here. I had so many unique experiences that I couldn’t have gained anywhere else. Thank you for the seven weeks of hard work.β€οΈβ€πŸ©ΉπŸ˜­ζœ¬ε½“γ«γŠη–²γ‚Œγ•γΎγ€œοΌοΌ